"Opening a permanent make-up business is a way of owning a profitable and stable business. You will, however, have to differentiate yourself from the competition."
Why start your own permanent make-up business?
- You can train fairly quickly and start your business sooner than most
- You set your own hours – you are the boss
- You can work from home – convenience and save on rentals
- You gain job satisfaction by helping people
- You receive word of mouth referrals – what they see, they will believe
- You get repeat customers when your service is good
- You acquire good income, either as a main- or side-line business
- Earn money equal to or greater than many well paid professionals
- You were possibly laid off/retrenched and you now need to earn an income
- Fairly low start-up capital and overhead costs
- Be contracted to salons who are not qualified and/or certified to do permanent make-up treatments
It's a good idea to determine who and what the competition is, before you open a permanent make-up business within your area or community. Try doing online or business directory searches that will begin to identify a list of competitors in your proposed business area. Research what services they offer and what they charge for those services. Prior to opening your doors for business, be sure you fully understand your competitive landscape and where your new business would fit in.
Turn Competitors into Collaborators
As part of your due diligence on opening a permanent make-up business, the next step is to learn from people who are already in the permanent make-up business. Local competitors are not likely to help you. However, an owner of a permanent make-up business in another town or city may be willing to discuss the Industry and share their entrepreneurial experiences with you, as long as they don't view you as a competitive threat. You may need to call several business owners in order to find one who is willing to share her/his wisdom with you.
Research Small Business requirements
Research management, administrative and legal requirements that are needed in order to start a small business – there’s tons of useful information available online!
Franchising may be easier
As an entrepreneur, your chances of doing well with your venture increase significantly if you purchase a franchise in lieu of doing everything yourself.
As part of your process in starting a permanent make-up business, you might want to investigate whether purchasing a franchise would help you avoid common entrepreneurial mistakes.